Primitive camping means off the beaten path, where RV's don't dare to tread. When you are primitive camping it is important to know the basics in order to be safe and have a positive and memorable experience. These simple steps will help.
Know Your Camp Site
Before you start packing up the car and buying supplies figure out your date and destination. Knowing when you are going and where you are going is vital to a positive experience and surviving any unexpected bumps in the road.
- What is the terrain like?
- What types of animals or reptiles might you run into?
- Where is the nearest park ranger station or emergency station?
- When are you planning your trip?
- What is the expected weather pattern that time of the year? (You will also want to check this up to a week before you go, weather can change in the blink of the eye, be prepared)
When you have your date and location it is time to pack up the primitive camping necessities and prepare for an adventure. If you will be hiking in then remember that packing light will help you get to your location without completely wearing you out. Also, what you pack in you must pack out so be prepared to pack out anything that is not consumable or compostable. Your packing list will also depend on how long your adventure is. This list should help get you started.
Camp site setup
- Tent and all it's accoutrements
- Axe with hammer side
- Flashlights and lantern and fuel
- Candles and matches
- Fire starters
- Cook stove and fuel
- Cook kit and utensils
- Mess kit and utensils
- Oil and seasonings
- A foldable or inflatable tub for cleaning cooking supplies
- Nonperishable food
- Hot pads, cutting board, can opener, and bottle openers
- Trash bag and air tight bags
What to wear
- Jeans, shorts, bathing suit
- Two pairs of socks per day
- Lightweight t-shirts
- Rain gear
- Two pairs of underwear per day
- Boots, shoes, flip flops
- Sunglasses, hat, head scarf or bandana
- Towel and wash cloth
Extras are Important
- First-aid Kit
- Overnight kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, deodorant)
- Toilet paper
- Hair brush and comb
- Shaving kit
- Sun block
- Bug spray
- Laundry bag and laundry soap
Being prepared for anything will make your adventure one to remember.