- Walk through each room and put your "buyer's hat on".
- Speak to your The Shields Group' agent about Staging vs. Remodeling costs.
- Have a The Shields Group' agent walk your home and property and give you a specific action plan.
- Consider getting a professional home inspection that you can preemptively provide to a serious buyer.
- Hire a contractor to handle any major projects.
- Consider getting an appraisal to find out your current market value.
- Set-up an EBay or Craigslist account and sell off some of the clutter you don't need anymore.
- Consider renting a storage unit for anything you just can't let go of, and prepare to Declutter!
Clean, Declutter and Depersonalize
- Thoroughly clean the entire home.
- Scrub tile in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Clean hardwood floors.
- Steam clean carpets and drapes. Consider replacing carpet if stains are prominent.
- Get rid of all dust bunnies.
- Repair cracks and holes in the walls.
- Paint interior walls with neutral colors, like beige, cream or light pastels. Pale blues and greens are good for bathrooms.
- Remove excess and oversized furniture.
- Rearrange furniture to maximize space.
- Organize room closets and store out-of-season clothes.
- Remove all small appliances, toys, magazines and pet items.
- Remove family photos, personal collections and medications.
- Remove items from the garage and store them off site.
- Secure valuable items, including cash and jewelry.
Maximize Curb Appeal
- Paint the home's exterior, including trim, doors and shutters.
- Check front door, doorbell, address number and welcome mat.
- Power wash the siding and windows.
- Inspect the roof and make repairs as needed.
- Repair cracks in the driveway and sidewalks.
- Sweep the entryway and walkways.
- Mow, water and fertilize the lawn.
- Trim shrubs and trees and rake the leaves.
- Plant colorful flowers and shrubs.
- Store any toys or equipment lying on the yard.
- Clean up pet droppings.
- Clean the gutters and downspouts.
Pay Attention to Kitchens and Bathrooms
- Mop and wax/polish the floors.
- Clear the countertops.
- Replace outdated hardware.
- Clean appliances and fixtures.
- Clean and organize the pantry, cabinets and drawers.
- Replace old caulking around sinks and bathtubs.
- Remove stains from sinks, toilets and bathtubs.
- Keep all toilet seat lids closed.
- Hang fresh towels.
Appeal to the Senses
- Bake cookies or burn scented candles.
- Offer light refreshments.
- Install higher wattage incandescent light bulbs to brighten rooms.
- Turn on all the lights.
- Open windows to let in fresh air.
- Open curtains or blinds to let in natural light and show off views.
- Turn off TVs.
- Relocate pets on the day of the open house.
- Refrain from smoking in the home.
Show Off Your Home's Best Features
- Remove rugs to show off hardwood floors.
- Pull back drapes to showcase nice views.
- Stage the front porch or deck with furniture and potted plants.
- Make sure fireplaces are in working condition.
- Clean the backyard and pool area.
Consider Doing a Broker Preview
- Hold an exclusive "Broker Preview" on a Saturday or Sunday to let local agents know your home is on the market. Offer food and refreshments.
- Inform family, friends and neighbors of the date and time of your Broker Preview.
- Coordinate with your The Shields Group' agent and have property description sheets, deed restrictions, amenity brochures, inspection reports and Seller's Disclosure forms out for viewing.
Improvements that cost the least but bring the most return
|Improvement||Typical Cost||Increase in Sales Price||Avg. Return||% of Agents Recommend|
|Lighten & Brighten||$233-$370||$1178-$1566||355%||97%|
|Clean & Declutter||$190-$318||$1505-$1937||578%||97%|
|Landscape & Trim||$378-$546||$1718-$2158||319%||97%|
|Kitchen & Bath||$1404-$1828||$3216-$3934||121%||87%|